Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Survived

And so did the farrier, thank God. Beau and Scout did their best--even in a heavily drugged state--to kill us all. Richmond tried to sneak in a few "love nips." The horses that I expected to be on their best behavior turned out to be the worst. But in the end, we were able to wrestle them into submission and get the job done.

Today, I feel like I've been beaten by a two-by-four. During the whole ordeal, I didn't realize I was using every muscle in my body to hold huge horse heads and dodge flying hooves. I think I was tense from my head to my toes for the entire three hours of the vet/farrier visit. Remington was the last horse on the schedule. He seemed to know that we thought we were home free, and he decided it was his mission to try to break our collective wills. In my desperation and exhaustion, I actually started doing some kind of weird horse-human meditation. I closed my eyes, leaned in really close to Remi's temple, and just started breathing slowly and deeply. I think he actually picked up on the calmness I was trying to project because he went from being a red-eyed, fire snorting demon horse to one that was just slightly bratty.

All I know is that I need a massage and several glasses of wine thank you very much!

But there is some good news to report--it truly wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Two of the six equines were perfect gentlemen. And the farrier didn't seem nearly as uspet over my boys' bad behavior as I was. He agreed to come back in seven weeks to do it all again, and that's pretty darned fantastic.

Thank you all for your positive thoughts, prayers, and crossed fingers. I really do think they helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment