Monday, April 12, 2010

Trouble is Looming ...

... and it's coming in the form of 16 legs, 16 hooves, and two sets of long ears.

Tomorrow is a day I've been dreading for several weeks--hoof trimming time coupled with the annual visit by the horse vet. Never mind that these two visits are going to put a massive dent in the old pocketbook. I've resigned myself to that and if it was the only thing I had to deal with, life would be grand. No. I'm concerned about the attitudes of certain members of the equine contingent here on the little farm. Gravely concerned.

The two donkeys hate/loathe/detest both the farrier and the vet. Even though they aren't much bigger than the German Shepherds, the jackazzes weigh a heckuva lot more and are much more violent when asked to do something that they don't want to do. And trust me--they don't want to do much of anything unless food, hugs, or back massages are involved.

Then there's two of the horses--Stretch and Richmond. Stretch decided several months back that after 24 years of putting up with hoof trims and shoes, he just ain't having it anymore. He is now a total terror for the farrier. And Richmond--our huge tank of a Paint horse--decided somewhere along the way that it would be fun to sneak in a few bites on the farrier's butt whenever possible. And if that's not bratty enough, he decided that maybe he could just fall right over for good measure. Did I mention that he's built like a freakin' tank?

Farriers are hard to come by around these parts, and we've already lost several due to these miscreants' bad behavior. One actually broke down and CRIED during her final visit because my guys were so bad. I've had a few others since then and for some reason, they never return my calls after their first visit. Hmmm. Tomorrow, we're trying another new guy and I am praying with all of my might that everyone will behave. The vet is helping with the donks in the form of two needles filled with "Sleepy Time." But the farrier is on his own when it comes to Stretch Man and Richmond. God help him!

So send positive thoughts and prayers my way tomorrow between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. central time. I may be the one needing the horse tranquilizers after all is said and done.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I can so relate to your feelings of dread!! I don't have horses/donkeys but I do have a cat that the vet and her assistants dread seeing!! We used to take him in for haircuts but now the vet gives us valium (for the cat...not us!!) and we have to do it ourselves. The cat always looks like he got in a really bad fight!! but we do the best we can. Good luck tomorrow!! I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry we have to have this in common, Sue! ;-) It is stressful. I SWEAR that they behave for me. But when they see a farrier's or vet's truck turn the corner, they act as if they've never been worked with a day in their lives. You'd think they were wild mustangs living on the range. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to chuckle a little but I am sending crossed fingers your way. Can you sedatecthem during the "pedicures?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everything went more smoothly than you anticipated. I have to admit, I may have giggled at the biting on the butt. It's kinda funny, as a mental image. Far less so for you & the farrier, though, I am sure. ;-)

    ReplyDelete